Sunday, February 25, 2007

"the moral of the story is...

I’ve been thinking about what Donald Miller (wrote blue like jazz) said when he visited the other week. He said that God gives up the Bible in narrative form and we turn it into propositions, statements of faith, and bulleted sermons. He says that we as people connect with stories better than we connect with statements, that’s why God gave us the Bible filled with narrative. Have you ever gone to a movie and after it was all over asked your friends “guys, what can we learn from this movie?” I don’t. When Jesus told stories (parables) he didn’t conclude by saying “the moral of the story is…” He left people wondering what it meant.

Donald Millers said that we all want to be part of a good story. We want our lives to count for something. The problem is that all good stories go like this. Protagonist wants something. Protagonist faces conflict. Protagonist preservers through and a conclusion is reached. Lord of the Rings would have been a flop if Froto had given up and pawned the ring off on some unknowing soul headed to mount doom.

I’m wondering about my own life. I don’t want to live a lame, or boring life. I am also fearful of the consequences that come from living a life that involves me in a greater plot.

And this is the end of my very disjointed thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say, live a safe, yet exciting life. Something like a roller coaster operator. Roller coasters are exciting. They don't have any conseqences that you would have to be fearful of.