Saturday, June 16, 2007

...dealing with troubled youth in the woods

This past week was a contrast between the joys of beach going with Sarah and the struggles of dealing with troubled youth in the woods.

Last weekend Sarah and I were in Del. on our way to a MD wedding. So far it has been the highlight of my summer. She is so much fun. We went for a long walk on the beach before it got busy and then built a little sand castle. The wedding reception was a ritzy event at an upper class country club. Sarah has never looked so beautiful.


Most of my week was spent observing/assisting with 11 kids as they dealt with the realities of days 1-4 of a 31 day wilderness experience. Some came in shackles, a few came from residential placement, and one came from a detention center where he hadn’t seen daylight in 20+ days. I learned as much about their world (and language) as they did about mine. I’ll try to take my camera the next time I’m out.

Anyone know what is going on in this description: “My dawgs were postin up by the crib with blunts and 40s when my P.O. rolled by. I wanted to pop the cracker in the cabbage.”

Post your guesses.

3 comments:

Emily said...

"my friends were waiting/hanging out by the house with weapons (knives or other) and handguns when my parole officer drove by. I wanted to shoot him in the head."
I speak the same.

abu said...

similarly:
"My friends were relaxing at my house with hand-rolled cigars with drugs instead of tobacco inside, and 40 oz. beers when my parol officer approached. I wanted to shoot (or hit?) this [white] person in the head."

abu said...

or,
"The gentlemen were in my garden having tea and crumpets when the Presiding Officer of our society arrived. I invited this cricket master to dinner after the game."