Friday, May 23, 2008

Flip the tassle, over the hill and through the woods to Camp DeerPark we went

So I hope that this post will break a long streak of non-posting. Now that my living situation has changed and internet is at my doorstep (literally, it isn’t in the house but almost) I hope to be able to get back to my regular routine of posting.

Graduation happened not long ago. Sarah graduated co-Salutatorian (that means tied for second best grades of the 250+ class) and I was more of an honorable mention. My parents and youngest sisters came up for the event. A good time was had by all.

Backpacking happened the next week. The Mast men and myself took on the Black Forest Trail. It is a 42 mile loop in and around the PA grand canyon. It would be better named “The Slate Run water shed tour”. The trail followed tributaries of Slate Run to and from their origins, and then up and over mountain to find the next trickle. It was beautiful, miles of hiking by babbling brooks and cascading waterfalls. The views were very viewable. It was also a brutal hike. To go between creek and vista the trail was constantly making 1000 foot climbs and drops. Actually, about 2/3 of the time was spent going up or going down. The pictures show some of the beauty, but I really haven’t found a trail this challenging and rewarding this side of the Rockies.

Our sweet tarp set up. There was only one half-ok tarp site so we improvised on a wet night.




Creek crossings totaled over 20. I rocked the Crocs and kept my boots dry.
A typical view except for a cloud of gnats around your head
Ethan mastered the stove quicklyOne of the better views. The two black spots in the image are gnats circling my head and camera as I took the picture
(Above) Micah strikes a pose after a creek crossing (Below) I took a shower in the waterfall on my 25th birthday eve. It was cold.
This week has marked our move to Camp DeerPark. We arrived with our embarrassingly large U-Haul (I recommend not doing business with U-Haul, they are not very upfront or customer friendly) and began the task of moving into our basement apartment. We quickly found a very open handed approach to our furniture which helped things fit. Currently the place is very cozy and walking space is limited. Nelke is adjusting and has even been going back into her box. The transition was very difficult for her and tiring for us. Hopefully she will forgo the howling this time. Who knows, maybe she is howling now.

2 comments:

Asher said...

hey looking in the barn here and you have 2 bikes, did you want them? mom is looking for bikes for refuges, and they are taking up room and my parking space for my motorcycle's is getting smaller and smaller. let me know and good luck settling in.

Micah said...

I like the picture of the gnats.