Monday, November 17, 2008

My rants and raves (If you read the whole way through then you must have nothing to do)

Rant #1
It was not that long ago that the word "communist" carried the connotation that "terrorist" now does. We fought communism with democracy. Our post 911 strategy is to let democracy sweep through the countries that hate us. Even as we do that our Government has begun regulate our economy. First it was an economic stimulus, then the bail out of banks. Soon it will be an auto industry bail-out which carries conditions for manufacturing certain types of products. This is not communism by any measure, but it is a move towards it. If communism is so bad, why are we leaning that way? Why don't we practice the democracy that we preach?

Rant #2
The prospect of the auto makers being bailed out has me thinking. Generally in business if you are a bad business person your business fails and you look for work in another sector. I consider this to be natural selection in the free market. This process should be motivating people to make better business decisions. If the government does bail out the auto industry, I'm concerned that the motivation to make good business decisions may change. I'm also worried that a government regulated industry will not produce the best possible products. (For example: if GM and Ford went under, foreign auto makers would have a larger market and we would have cars with better fuel efficiency)

I have to stop now so Sarah can use the computer. I realize that some people think I'm nuts for spending my time posting these kinds of things. Sarah says my poor grammar and spelling undermines whatever credibility I might have had. But I say: "This is my blog and I can say whatever I want to (except for threats and hate language which I think might be illegal) and you keep reading it."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My thought:
Because everything is motivated by greed. Therefore everything is in a constant state of decay. Therefore the 'need' for intervention and legislation.

And I have PLENTY to do!

Good to hear from you again
S-

abu said...

They are trying to keep the auto-makers, and the banks in business so that aMerica doesn't lose the services they offer. Banks give away money, and car companies create jobs.
And they don't just give them money---surely someone tells them to do better next time!

Joella Garber said...

yeah, anyway, what happened to Adam's Smith's capitalist/free market ideas and "The Wealth of Nations"? Although it would stink for all those people who would lose their jobs if the businesses went under.

But while we're talking about government interference, what about farm subsidies? Maybe you can research that for me, what exactly they are, and including why farms are not reforming to better environmental practices that increase yeild per acre.