Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I would have boycotted the dumb Bon-Ton

Sarah and I have been registering for gifts. This past week was break so we made several trips to Sears and then Bon-Ton to register. The last time I was in the Bon-Ton I was lost. And this time was scary. Every time I leaned back in a chair, made a large hand gesture, or walked quickly down an isle I was almost breaking a pretty little something that cost hundreds of dollars. Sarah and I both agreed that I was lucky to not have smashed something valueable.

Sears has some really nice stuff. We registered for some quality kettles that cost so much that Sarah spent the next 3 days wondering if she could live with herself.

About the time she was feeling ok about the $179 kettle set we visited the store I shop at: Kmart. It’s shelves were lined with really great stuff and priced at half of what the Bon-Ton charges.

In 8th grade we had stop signs on the walls that said “stop and think”. This week I did just that.

Question: Who am I and what am I asking other people to do? Answer: I am a Goodwill/Kmart person asking others to be Bon-Ton people.

Question #2: Why am I asking people to be Bon-Ton people instead of Kmart people? Answer: Its not because I want to, it’s because of outside pressure. It’s commonly accepted that the Bon-Ton is a reasonable place to register.

So what have I learned from this whole ordeal? It’s time to be myself and grow a spine so I can stand up to the pressures of the outside world. If the outside world thinks its tacky to register on Amazon for snowshoes (which I did) then the outside world thinks I’m a tacky person. What’s wrong with being me? If you want to give a gift you got from a dumpster, go right ahead.

If I had the whole thing to do over again, I would have boycotted the dumb Bon-Ton and Sears and spent my time at Target or Kmart.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, sometimes the extra bucks spent are worth it for quality, life span and using pleasure of a product. Kmart stuff can be great but there are 'hidden' features to consider, like are the kettle bottoms thick enough? that makes a huge difference in cooking. Console yourselves, good chance you are getting a better deal. Just a thought.

S-

The Garbers said...

Coming from anyone else I would have dissagreed. But you are the queen of frugality and quality. Are you a Bon-Ton person?

SarahNJared said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SarahNJared said...

Keep in mind that Sears and Kmart are pretty much the same. Well, at least they are run/owned/operated by the same corporate something or other.

Unknown said...

I am a garage sale/goodwill/reuzit shop/ebay junkie who is very grateful for the better quality cookware given her as a wedding gift.

Asher said...

No its tacky to register at Napa or Cabelas.