Sunday, December 03, 2006

a disjointed rant



The efficiency of technology has juiced up our society to our point of hypertension, stress, and increasing expectations. Our friend has become our enemy. These devices designed to save us are smothering us. Our communication has become impersonal: email instead of phone calls, ipods instead of social interaction, blogs instead of mass emails, and facebook instead of blogs.

I have a shoe box with dozens of pages of letters. It is a one sided history of my growing love for Sarah. I don’t regret the extra hours it took to write instead of email. Nor do we wish we had cash for the used stamps. We communicated in real ways. It would have been a betrayal of our values to thoughtlessly fling our experiences through the web. I would have robbed myself of those moments in Kenya where I sat writing as the creek guggled by and the goats grazed.

So, as you might have noticed, I post about things that don’t really matter. I do this with the assumption that anyone who cares about me will take the time to actually ask me “Kevin, how are you?” I have more than a hundred friends on face book. But I would trade them all for a real relationship.

This has been kind of a disjointed rant, but I think you get the idea. If anything important is going on in my life, you won’t see it here. Ask me, not technology for details.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And for the casual reader who really doesn't want to get to know Kevin, but instead wants gossip material, here is the latest.
As of Friday Dec 1 Mr Kevin is officially engaged to the afore mentioned Sarah.
The wedding is scheduled for a future date at a secure undisclosed location.

Anonymous said...

For the information of the random stalker who longs to know Kevin identity so he can steal all his vital information: The disjointed writer is really Zadkery Gardener. I don't have his credit card number but I might be able to tell you other stuff.
Signed--Queena Yoder, a crazed roommate and the lover-chick of "Ethan"

Anonymous said...

Zad-man, I respect your desire for cyber-space security. May your virtual garden grow safe within your prudent fence of precaution. Now as for the goober who goes by "caseihman81," does his/her comment get the same censoring that my comment recieved? Do you really want the vast host of internet prowlers to know that....[I have excersised my own fragment of discretion and personal censorship]

Anonymous said...

I'm getting a migraine. Is everybody happy now?

The Garbers said...

And now, a note from the author. If you happen to read the "About" section of this blog you will notice that this blog is about my expression. It is very selfish of me to post only things I wish to express, but it is the purpose of this blog. Since I don't wish to post the details of my love life, it would be a violation of this blogs mission statement to do so. Like the mission statement says, "You don't have to read them, but you do".